County of Kern Elections Division
Registrar of Voters

Mary B. Bedard, CPA
1115 Truxtun Avenue, 1st Floor Bakersfield, CA 93301-4639
Regular Office Hours 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Mon-Fri
Fax # (661) 868-3768 (661) 868-3590 or 1-800-452-8683
County Building

English / Español

Military and U.S. Citizens Overseas

Members of the Uniformed Services, their spouse/dependents, and U.S. Citizens overseas that are absent from their County of residence or the territorial limits of the United States are covered under the Uniformed Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA).

To qualify for UOCAVA in Kern County you must be a Kern County resident that is absent from their voting jurisdiction because of one of the following:

  • You are a member of the Uniformed Services, Merchant Marine or National Guard on active duty
  • You are a spouse/dependent of a person described above.
  • You are a U.S. Citizen residing outside the United States

UOCAVA allows you to receive election ballots, for any election you are eligible to vote, by mail, email or fax as early as 60 days before the election. It also allows you to return your voted ballot by mail or fax. California Law does not allow you to return your voted ballot by email.

How to register as a Military or Overseas voter:

If you meet the above qualifications and would like to register to vote, do one of the following:

  • Register Online: California Online Voter Registration or Federal Voting Assistance Program
  • Download and complete the Federal Post Card Application and return it by:
    1. Scan to email: (Enter MOV Update in the subject line if emailing.)
    2. Faxing the form to (661) 868-3723.
    3. Mailing the form to:
      Kern County Elections Office
      1115 Truxtun Avenue, 1st floor
      Bakersfield, CA. 93301

Note: The registration form must be received by the Kern County Elections Office on or before the 15th day before an election for registering to vote and 7 days before an election to request a ballot if you are already registered. It is recommended that voters outside the United States apply as early as possible to ensure timely delivery and return of their ballots.

Please help us keep our records current, by notifying us when you move or your name changes!