How do you Vote if you are in the Military or are Overseas?

Are you in the Military or are a Spouse/Dependent of someone in the Military and are living outside Kern County? Are you a U.S. Citizen living outside the United States whose last residence in the U.S. was Kern County?

If so, then you qualify for the Uniformed Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA).

You do not qualify for UOCAVA benefits if you are living inside Kern County.

If you are a U.S. Citizen living overseas and your last known U.S. residence was not in Kern County you need to register with your county of residence.

To qualify for UOCAVA in Kern County you must be a Kern County resident that is not living in their designated voting area because of one of the following:

  • You are a member of the Uniformed Services, Merchant Marine or National Guard on active duty.
  • You are a spouse/dependent of a person described above.
  • You are a U.S. Citizen residing outside the United States.

How do you Register as a Military or Overseas Voter?

If you meet the above qualifications and would like to register to vote, do one of the following:

Important - Time Sensitive

Registration forms must be received by the Kern County Elections Office no later than 15 days before an election. We recommend that voters outside the United States apply as early as possible to make sure their ballots are sent to them in time to be completed, returned and counted.

Please keep your records on file current, let us know when you move or your name changes!